This page describes how the Feeding Knowledge website is managed under the provisions of Article 13 and Article 14 of European Union GDPR - General Data protection Regulation (679/2016/EU) in relation to the processing of the personal data of its users.
Purpose of the personal data processing
Personal data is processed according to all purposes related to design and delivery of Feeding Knowledge, that include:
- purposes related to monitoring, analyzing and assessing the use of the service;
- purposes related to teaching, learning, and research.
Data processing procedure
In relation to the stated purposes, the data processing is carried out with digital tools. In any case the protection is ensured by password.
Data Controller: Politecnico di Milano – Directorate General upon authorisation of the pro-tempore Rector firstname.lastname@example.org
Piazza Leonardo da Vinci 32 – 20133 Milan Italy
Phone +39 0223992243
Data Protection Officer: email@example.com - phone: +39 0223999378
Information that Feeding Knowledge collects from you (including personal information)
Feeding Knowledge directly collects information when you:
- sign up for a Feeding Knowledge user account and create a new user profile;
- send email messages to Feeding Knowledge (including messages to user support);
- publish content online (e.g. papers, best practices) that is linked to you personal account and to your organisation;
- participate in public forums, webinars, and other interactive experiences on the Feeding Knowledge Site.
Feeding Knowledge also indirectly collects usage information about your visit to the Feeding Knowledge Site, as explained in the section below titled Cookies and tracking technologies.
Feeding Knowledge encourages you to use discretion before voluntarily sharing additional Personal Information on the Feeding Knowledge Site.
Cookies and tracking technologies on the Feeding Knowledge site
- based on your cookie settings, Feeding Knowledge tracks information indicating, among other things, which pages of the Feeding Knowledge Site were visited, the order in which they were visited, when they were visited, and which hyperlinks and other user interface controls were used;
- Feeding Knowledge may log the IP address, operating system, and browser software (including mobile use and device type when you use Feeding Knowledge native mobile apps) you used when accessing the Feeding Knowledge Site, and Feeding Knowledge may be able to determine from an IP address your Internet Service Provider and the geographic location of your point of connectivity;
- Tracking is performed via Google Analytics based upon anonimyzation of IP addresses.
- when necessary for system administration, security, and integrity to ensure the Feeding Knowledge Site works properly for you. Without these technologies, the Feeding Knowledge Site may not function correctly;
- to enable analytics, performance and functionality, to help Feeding Knowledge gather information about how visitors use the Feeding Knowledge Site and monitor Feeding Knowledge Site performance, and to enhance your experience by recognizing and remembering whether you have visited the Feeding Knowledge Site before and may have any personal preferences.
You have some options for managing Cookies and other Tracking Technologies. These include modifying your browser settings: You should be able to control how and whether your web browser accepts Cookies by adjusting its privacy and security settings. The “help” feature of the menu bar on most browsers will tell you how to stop accepting new Cookies, how to receive notification of new Cookies, and how to disable existing Cookies. If you reject Feeding Knowledge’s Cookies, many functions and conveniences of the Feeding Knowledge Site may not work properly.
Third party cookies
This website uses Google Analytics, a web analytics service provided by Google Inc. of 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA ("Google”). Google Analytics uses 'cookies', which are text files placed on your computer, to help the web team analyse how Users use the site. The information generated by the cookie about your use of the website will generally be transmitted to and stored by Google on servers in the United States. In case of activation of a IP-anonymisation, Google will reduce your IP address within the member states of the European Union and other member States to the Treaty on the European Economic Area. Only in exceptional cases, the full IP-address will be transmitted to a server of Google in the United States and be reduced there. In assignment of the operator of this website Google will use this information for the purpose of evaluating your use of the website, compiling reports on website activity for website operators and providing other services relating to website activity and Internet usage. Google may also transfer this information to third parties where required to do so by law, or where such third parties process the information on Google's behalf.
Please note that this website extended Google Analytics for the code “gat._anonymezlp();” to ensure an anonymised recording of IP-addresses (IP masking).
More information on Google Inc. and Google Analytics can be found here: http://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/terms/.
How your information is used
Your data is processed in accordance with Polimi policies; Feeding Knowledge uses information, including Personal Information, to carry out the following purposes:
- Create, administer, and provide online content.
- Operate and improve the Feeding Knowledge Site – This includes personalizing the Feeding Knowledge Site, so your user experience is tailored to your interests and needs.
- Improve Feeding Knowledge service.
- Develop and maintain the security and performance of the Feeding Knowledge Site.
- Communicate with you.
- Support scientific research including, for example, in the areas of food security.
- Track Feeding Knowledge Site usage against goals and mission.
Feeding Knowledge may also seek your consent for additional uses of information, including Personal Information, and will use it only for the purpose described to you. All use of Personal Information is subject to applicable law.
How your information is shared
Feeding Knowledge may share information, including Personal Information, only as needed to fulfill the relevant purpose(s), with the following third parties:
- staff authorised to process personal data;
- Expo S.p.A.;
- CIHEAM - Centre International de Hautes Etudes Agronomiques Méditerranéennes;
- subjects that provide outsourcing services or acting as technicians operating the Feeding Knowledge equipment and service programs;
- entities / authorities for issuing public key certificates.
In addition to that, Feeding Knowledge shares information with other members of the Feeding Knowledge network that peruse website content, to create an interactive learning environment.
Feeding Knowledge may also seek your consent for additional disclosures of information, including Personal Information, and will share it only as described to you. In addition, Feeding Knowledge may share with the public and with third parties, including but not limited to researchers and partners, information and Personal Information that is de-identified or aggregated in a manner that does not personally identifies you.
How to manage your personal information
Access and correct your personal information
Much of your Personal Information is available in your Feeding Knowledge account. Your name, email address, and other identifiable profile information is editable through the profile settings in your Feeding Knowledge account.
Feeding Knowledge encourages you to use discretion before volunteering Personal Information on the Feeding Knowledge website.
Feeding Knowledge will retain your Personal Information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you with services.
Storage & security
Feeding Knowledge stores information, including Personal Information, on its own servers located at Polimi. Polimi controls its own copy of information collected through the Feeding Knowledge website and has an information security program designed to protect information in its possession or control. This is done through a variety of privacy and security policies, processes, and procedures. Polimi uses administrative, physical, and technical safeguards that reasonably and appropriately protect the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the information that it collects, receives, stores, or transmits. Nonetheless, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure; and therefore, Polimi cannot guarantee its absolute security. While Polimi works hard to ensure the integrity and security of its network and systems, Polimi cannot guarantee that its security measures will prevent “hackers” or other unauthorized persons from illegally accessing or obtaining information.
If Polimi learns of a security breach involving its copy of your Personal Information, Polimi may attempt to notify you electronically so that you may take appropriate protective steps. By using the Feeding Knowledge website or providing Personal Information to Feeding Knowledge website, you agree that Polimi can communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues relating to your use of the Feeding Knowledge Site. If a security systems breach occurs, Feeding Knowledge may post a notice on the Feeding Knowledge homepage (www.feedingknowledge.net) or elsewhere on the Feeding Knowledge website and may send an email to you at the email address associated with your Feeding Knowledge account.
If you have privacy concerns, have disclosed data you would prefer to keep private, or would like to access the Personal Information that Feeding Knowledge maintains about you, please contact the Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone +39 0223999378.
If you consider the answer provided to be unsatisfactory, you may lodge, free of charge, a complaint with the Italian Authority for Data Protection - Garante per la protezione dei dati personali (www.garanteprivacy.it)