This initiative is designed to help and empower rural women farmers to build their capacity to meet the challanges facing them into socio-econmic status and to icrease thier income and livelihoods through adopt good and sustainable agricultural practices sush as urban agriculture practices, the Gender concept and equal access to production resources. skilled women considered the main stone in thier familities. the value added in this initiative is encouraging farmers women to participate in extension's program activities.
National Center for Agricultural Research and Extension - JordanLead applicant
• Organize agricultural research and extension plans for sustainable development. • Adopt the latest agricultural techniques for local conditions. • Disseminate appropriate technologies to farmers through extension agents. • Enhance knowledge and improve skills of researchers and extension agents through education and training activities. • Conduct economic studies. • Evaluate the effect of economic factors on agricultural production. • Capacity building of researchers and extension agents in collaboration with local, national and international partners and provides training and cross-learning opportunities in order to better addressing agricultural development problems.
The Jordanian Hashemite Fund for Human Development JOHUD - JordanInitiative partner
o The Jordanian Hashemite Fund for Human Development (JOHUD), established in 1977, is an independent, leading non-profit, non-governmental organisation, dedicated to promoting rights-based sustainable human development in Jordan and in the region. Across Jordan and through a network of 50 community development centres, JOHUD helps people work together to improve livelihoods and to ensure that everyone has access to the entitlements that contribute to healthy and fulfilled lives. What We Do: . o Act as a catalyst for communities to play a leading role in local development processes o Provide training, research and consulting services to build individual and institutional capacity. o Implement projects that tackle specific development problems and empower people to improve the well-being of all segments of society. Build alliances and advocate for policies that are equitable and socially inclusive. o Mobilise resources from individuals and organisations to provide a ‘safety net’ for the most vulnerable.
Ministry of Agriculture - Jordan - JordanInitiative partner
Organization and Development of the agricultural sector to achieve the following key objectives and in cooperation with the relevant authorities: o Increase the production of food and agricultural products. o Lasting agricultural use of natural resources without damaging the environment o Creat the right climate for investment in the agricultural sector. o Rural development and raise production capacity . o Increase farmers income and improve their standard of living o To provide protection for the health of livestock and plant environment and active participation in international organization for the competent regional and international conventions held in accordance with the asset used o Tolarate monitors the market and put the necessary legislation to regulate the marketing operations and raise their level. o Improve the efficiency of irrigation water use at farm level
Women empowerment: This Initiative aims to empower Jordanian rural women and to build their capacity into economic, social and household by having elements of power through Implementation of agricultural programs side by side with rural women. Extension Programs: These programs provided women with Skills, information, and technologies necessary to enable them to perform their role in life, in the welfare of the family, community development, self-reliance, and sustain income. This initiative is guided by the goals of the National Plan for the Empowering of Jordanian Women, the Gender concept and equal access to production resources. Different agricultural extension programs in favor of rural women were implemented to increase agricultural productivity, decrease rural poverty and develop more sustainable agricultural production strategies. The program has been successful in reaching out to rural women, establish linkages with rural women's groups.
The participation of rural women in the activities of agricultural extension programs by using the agricultural natural resources through providing beneficiaries of agro-business skills. The concept of Home Gardens is implemented into two directions; 1.wide and open gardens in rural areas, 2. planting in small sized spaces in cities to meet the family needs for chemical-free vegetables and fruit and marketing of surplus.
Training programs on food processing have been implemented in different fields. These trained activities permitted the use of farm products in case of low prices and providing the families with low-food bills.
"Women Productive Kitchen" is a new concept addressed through extension activities summarized by producing food varieties and marketing the products in social events, exhibitions, and local markets. These activities have encouraged many sectors to flourish, empowering women on agricultural operations which led to open new labor oppurtunities for them.
Rural women make a huge and growing contribution to agriculture in Jordan. Women represent about 49% of Jordan population, the vast majority of women in young age. Most of governorate has rural lifestyle and practices, therefore, agriculture is considered an important source of food, nutrition and income source for most of rural communities, women has major role in agricultural farming systems and provide secured food for their families, but most of agricultural practices are traditional characterised by lack of using new techniques and lack of different variables which led to deteriorate the agricultural sector besides to the limited natural resources, abandon of agriculture due to low income revenue, in addition to the high food prices and decrease of family income. because of the Jordanian women has unique and tangible effect on her family and her capability to accept and adopt new ideas, initiatives and new simple technologies, this initiative is focused on empowering the women
1. This initiative highlighted the role of women and empowers them economically through providing Skills, especially in areas not reached by other Governmental entities.
2. Raised economic level through the improvement of women's social status and economic development, and reduce possibility of the incidence of violence against women due to the high rate of poverty in less privileged areas.
3. Women have been empowered to face poverty, climate change, high prices, lack of water and the quality of water.
4. Established new women’s cooperatives by trained women, and activated the existence cooperatives through the establishment of "Productive Kitchen" which generates income.
5. Raised the efficiency of nearly 440 women and provided them with the necessary skills through training in various fields: Food processing, gardening, urban agriculture, mushroom cultivation, manufacture of soap, compost, recycling,...
6. Gender concept has been introduced wisely in plans and projects.
1. Rural Family and housewife: Their standard of living ranging from Medium to below of medium, number of family members from 6 To 10 people, most of them depend on one source of income, the existence of unemployment, including Their needs: Increase income and diversify sources of income and improve the standard of living for the family. Adoption of small-scale projects generating income contributes to the reduction of unemployment and migration to the city, healthy food, encourage women to join into associations or establishing new one.
2. Cooperatives: Concerned with the empowerment of women. Interested in family and rural development, identified their needs to conduct a training and awareness programs in several subjects such as food processing and enterpirces
3. Women Farmers and farmers' wives: Knowledge of the roles that they carry out to direct training programs to them.
The people that performed the initiative in the field as follows:
o Eng. Yousra Suleiman, BSc in Plant Productio, Project Manager, she is working at the National Center for Agricultural Research and Extension (NCARE), since 2007 to present time.
o Researchers from NCARE who participated delivering training cources:
1. Dr. Raida Awamleh,PhD in Plant Protection, Entomology, working at Minstry of Agriculture ( MoA)
2. Dr. Muein Qaryouti, PhD in Plant Production, Agronomy, working at NCARE
3. (8) Female agriculturalists in the extension units at different governorates in the country
o Local farmer’s leadership: 22 people from the local communities who facilitated communication between extension and local communities.
o Non-governmental organizations: 7 societies such as Noor Al Hussein Foundation and the Jordanian Hashemite Fund for Badia Development.
o Customs and traditions obstacle: The project team has faced in some conservative societies difficulty of acceptance of extension agents (males), in order to solve restricted women problem for their movements and behavior in front of males. Also, the project team offered inside home training activities to avoid like these obstacles.
o Lack of women's cooperatives or in-active cooperatives in some rural areas: Because of that we worked in two-ways: firstly; activating the existing cooperatives through the implementation of programs with them, secondly; to encourage trained women groups as a core for establishing new created cooperatives.
o Training the target groups how to get benefit from home kitchen, plant leaves and grass, and farm residues of house in a safe and useful way by converting it to compost in order to fertilize the soil.
o Exploitation gray water to irrigate home gardens.
o Recycling of empty bottles and boxes to plant some vegetables and fruits such as onion and strawberries in balconies and roofs.
o Preparation of environmentally safe pesticide products at home by women, such as using
o Garlic extract in controlling some plant pest (organic farming)
o Introducing the concept of gender in climate change projects and oriented the light on the role of women in adapting to climate change.
o Reduce the pollution in crowded cities by increasing green areas by implementation of urban agriculture.
o Raising awareness of rural women about the danger of water shortage in Jordan by encouraging them to use the techniques of water harvesting and planting drought-tolerant plants
o Gender Unit at NCARE: gender unit to empower women thought raising awareness, conducting continuously training programs and conducting research and studies related to women issue.
o Establishing New Cooperative: NCARE has supported technically and administrational to encourage women to establish their own cooperatives in rural areas to sustain their enterprises and linking their products to local markets channels.
o Staff sustainability: conducting updating training for its extension staff in order to update their knowledge and skills.
o Social/economic sustainability: productive kitchen in rural women communities has created sustained socio-economic environment for poor, helped in marketing their products, sustained income which enhances their livelihoods.
o Environment sustainability: Training on recycling of agricultural residue has good environmental impacts on the local communities and enhances the environmental awareness towards better personal behaviours
Dissemination tools have been used as follows:
1. Local community meetings: many meetings have been done with local communities in rural areas in order to transfer and share ideas from the locals.
2. Training workshops in the field: conducting a training series on different topics have been delivered to the targeted groups which include a practical training on certain skills such as urban agriculture and soap making.
3. Presentations and shows: Lectures, demonstrations, and shows are also used in information dissemination to rural girls and women. Bochoure, pamphlets and booklets were distributed to the concerned farmers and others.
4. TV Show: sucess stories have been produced on TV show for good agricultural practices and activities releated to home gardens and gray water practices