This initiative has a direct impact on the sustainability of the
development of small and rural communities that benefit
from organic wastes of the farm and the house and turn it
into organic fertilizer, which supports this rural communities
and improve their standard of living and increase their
The main objective of the experiment:
- Improve the income level of rural families and farmers using
organic fertilizer and reduce the use of chemical fertilizers
Beneficiaries of this experience:
- Small farmers - rural women - agricultural societies
- Improving the level of farmers' income
- Improved properties of soil chemical and physical properties
- Maintain the environment
- Maintain groundwater pollution
Palestinian farmers association - PalestineLead applicant
-Reclamation of agricultural lands and the extension of irrigation systems. - Restoration of greenhouses to farmers affected by natural disasters and needs. - The implementation of programs of technical development for farmers of both sexes in south governorate. - Implementation of projects to create jobs for farmers and poor families. - Contribute to the improvement of environmental indicators through the implementation of projects such as the fertilizer industry. Organic and IPM farming. - Strengthening of livestock production through the implementation of projects related to the rearing of sheep and bees. - defend the interests of men and women farmers and their right to a decent life. - contribute to environmental reform - to develop the work of rural women and their role activating community - develop the work of the Assembly and increase efficiency. - work on upgrading the infrastructure for agriculture.
Earth & Human Center for Research & Studies - PalestineInitiative partner
Implementing scientific research capable to provide practical solutions for the environmental and humanitarian issues. -Providing and facilitating specialized consultancy in environmental and humanitarian fields. -Interacting in between the scientific research and policies to enrich dialogue for the environmental and humanitarian issues. -Developing the abilities of researchers in Palestine. -Reinforcing the values of scientific research among the decision makers.
Safety Producers Crops Association in Beit Hanoun - PalestineInitiative partner
1. The expansion of cultivated land agricultural by safety roads. 2. Improve the marketing process of internal and external. 3. Capacity building and rehabilitation of farmers through technical training and work Views. 4. Networking with local and international institutions to raise the safe and sustainable agriculture.
Palestinian-Environmental-Friends-Association - PalestineInitiative partner
Which seeks to contribute to the improvement of environmental conditions deteriorating in Palestine, and the association aims to preserve local sources and natural sources of pollution and also aims to raise awareness and environmental education, and that for the sustainability of natural resources, as the association aims to build a high level of cooperation and coordination at the local level and with the international institutions that share the objectives and activities.
Compost production from plant and animal waste as a soil fertilizer by farmers in Musabah area, Rafah governorate, Palestine. The main idea of organic waste recycling and used it to make compost, came from the innovations of farmers and their need to take advantage of the remnants of the farm in order to save money used in the purchase of chemical fertilizers and increase soil fertility and reduce the spread of diseases and pests and increase farm income. The compost from the most recent trends are currently used in the publication and dissemination of organic agriculture systems that rely on increasing soil fertility and conservation to get the high quality and safety crops. This is in addition to the need to increase quantity and quality food production, which is a key objective in Palestine to gain access to the achievement of food security.
This innovation came from the farmers as a new method that meets their needs:
- to reduce the produce inputs and access to the health and safety production
- does not conflict with the strategy of the Ministry of Agriculture
- fosters a spirit of cooperation between farmers in different agricultural areas in Palestine
- provides food security for the community
- development of the rural community
- assisting small-scale farmers to increase their income
- family stability in the rural community
Sustainable agriculture is the practice of farming using principles of ecology, the study of relationships between organisms and their environment.
It has been defined as an integrated system of plant and animal production practices having a site-specific application that will last over the long term:
- Satisfy human food and fiber needs
- Enhance environmental quality and the natural resource base upon which the agricultural economy depends
- Make the most efficient use of non-renewable resources and on-farm resources and integrate, where appropriate, natural biological cycles and controls
- Sustain the economic viability of farm operations
- Enhance the quality of life for farmers and society as a whole
Socio-economic status of agriculture:
The agricultural sector in Gaza contributes to the economy sharing the GDP is about 10 %. About 20 % of the employed labor force in Gaza worked in the agricultural sector in 2004 (PARC, 2004).
Through this innovation, it was noted that there are continuing in the production of compost in all areas of the Gaza Strip and show that after gathering information on key actors and institutions in support of this innovation and through the questionnaire, proved that this work contributed to the reduce the use of chemical fertilizers way noticeable, which leads to increased farm income is reflected on the case social and economic for the farmer and his family.
The idea of compost was spread to many institutions:
- Association of palm growers in Deir al-Balah
- Association of Agriculture Producers safe in Beit Hanoun
- As well as the PEFwith support from Oxfam
- In addition to the units under the Ministry of Agriculture
Outcomes of the innovation
- Improve the soil properties
- Increasing the organic matter in soil
- Increase in production
- Maintaining the Environment
- The employment of workers
- Increase farmers income
- Improving rural development
The real beneficiaries of activity:
- Innovator Farmer Ali Duheir
- Farmers In the innovation region
- Farmers In different regions and belonging to the associations
- Institutions and associations
- Product and consumer society (farmers increase their incomes and those of consumers of goods at cheap prices)
- State by contributing to revive the economy and increase national income
- Agricultural Labor
After formal and informal meetings and visits more information about the innovation, which was identified it Show that there are institutions and individual that have a direct relationship with this innovation, namely:
- The innovator Farmer Ali Duher
- Palestinian farmers Association
- Palestinian Environmental Friends Association
- Union of Agricultural Relief Committees
- Agricultural guiding and awareness society
- Ministry of Agriculture
Many workshops was been organizing with many actors in the study area and also with farmers through the FFS, which was supervised.
Interviews was been conducting with officials at many institutions that operate in the region and with key informants have used some SEAGA tools.
The most important difficulties that I faced during the implementation of this initiative:
- To convince farmers to shift from chemical fertilizer to organic fertilizer
- Has been overcome by the experience and field observations
- Not convinced farmers and rural women, the benefits of organic fertilizer to the soil and plants and the difficulty of dealing with the waste field and home and take advantage of them in making compost
- Has been overcome by training
This Innovation is friendly. From an environmental perspective this innovation reduces the use of chemical fertilizers, which are caused by the pollution of ground water and also reduces the use of pesticides, especially pesticides used to combat diseases of seeds, which are added to the soil through the irrigation system where the compost has an effect on the microorganisms Responsible for diseases of seeds. As well as reduces the rodents and insects.
Since the birth of the idea of compost through this innovation the farmers in the agricultural areas began to make compost inside the farm and then associations began to produce composite throw projects that supports from international institutions.
Has been the establishment of numerous factories compost in different parts of the Gaza Strip and most important of these projects in the Rafah area, with the support of international institutions and, most recently a project separate municipal waste and produce compost, submitted to the PEF and with the support of UNDP value of $1000000.
There are still enlighten for housewives in rural areas to provide production units with additional quantities of organic matter from the remnants, so as to increase the production of compost. There's no doubt that, the policies and strategies developed by the Ministry of Agriculture contributed to the continuous production of compost from organic waste.
This initiative has a direct impact on the sustainability of the development of small and rural communities that benefit from organic wastes of the farm and the house and turn it into organic fertilizer, which supports this rural communities and improve their standard of living and increase their income.